Sailing off


Friday, July 16, 2010

Port Essington - delayed due to network coverage

Hmm...sailor's warning.Not comfy!
Monday 14th of June  Leaving our great memories and new made friends behind today it almost feels sad. It has been such an amazing trip and an amazing journey so far. Each island and each new place we see or visit are like different worlds. Some we like a lot and wish we could stay longer others we are ready to leave as soon as the morning comes and the sun rises. The day started with a red sky today which is sailors warning as we are making our way to Coburg Penninsula 11 Degrees 21.49 and 132 Degrees 52 and than to Port Essington 11 Degrees 13.47 and 132 Degrees 05. 97 in 20 knot winds and very unasonable swells. Three "Sea Musketeers" on the move again. Wonder what the next few days adventures will bring for us all?

Hot cup of coffee on the go in our sailing cup
After a quick and uneventful stay at Malay Bay we sailed comfortably to Port Essington(15th and 16th June) a large inlet.
Port Essington views with that amazing"red"coloured soil
Stop - Victoria Ruins

It was the site of an early attempt of the British to start trade with Asia much like Singapore. It now exists as a remote series of ruins of what is now left of the idea. Interesting as all that has happened in the 1800's.
We decided to visit what is known as the Victoria Ruins.With our calculations it was going to be a 4 hours round trip ( Port Essington is verly long  indeed ).So why take 3 boats when we could have more fun on one not to mention the depth issue.We need more water on Cognac than a catamaran.So we all assembled on "Night Moves" again and off we went.
View from the edge

We walked all the way up to that edge...
and have not realised that we stood on the edge

Scenery was breathtaking and the day perfectly HOT. We arrived at the Victoria Settlement not knowing what to expect.We even thought that maybe there were opening hours with an entry fee. No entry fees just another warning of crocodiles and a path. "Bobby" was our leading scout checking the "turf" and making sure all were present.
The ruins were larger that we expected. There were many separate buildings scattered around over a reasonably large area.There were private houses a hospital nurses quaters a store couple of wells cemetery and much more.
We wondered about the fireplaces...
Would one ever need one here?

Private homes

From memory that was part of hospital

We walked trough this part very very quickly...croc land

Convict markings on bricks
This place was certainly very remote very hot and we were wondering how anyone could have survived here. Indeed they have not. Most of them died of malaria and some managed to leave. The English government did not support the small collony it sort of left it there. Interesting who would sign up for this experience. In today's world this experience would probably be called "Survivor" and screened once weekly with 1 million prize. So long ago  was it a way of life or a chance one took to advance in life or circumstances? Interesting. Imagine what it would have been like here -  heat all possible sea creatures to harm crocodiles no electricity and totally remote...hmm.We were certainly ready to "take our hats of" for all those who lived here.

Stunning views
There was yet another very low fly over visit from the customs. Really great to know that someone is always watching over us.

Customs helicopter looking over us

and more

No comments:

Post a Comment